Monday, October 11
- Book Fair
- PTO Meeting @ North School Library | 6:30 PM
Tuesday, October 12
- Book Fair
- Board of Education Meeting @ North Grove Elementary School | 7:00 PM
Wednesday, October 13
- Book Fair
- Spartan Food Pantry @ District Warehouse | 4:30 PM
Thursday, October 14
- Book Fair
- Late Start Thursday- Doors open at 9:15 AM, school starts at 9:30 AM
- Fall Festival (Back Blacktop) | 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Friday, October 15
- Book Fair
- Choir | 7:45 AM
- Have a Great Weekend!
The District is working to fill several positions. We are seeking several part and full-time positions. If you are interested, please click the link to see what might fit you best. If you are not interested, please feel free to pass around the information! We could really use your help with these positions.
School Year Reminders
- Morning drop-off on Monday-Wednesday and Friday is 8:30 AM. Supervision is not available before that time. Please try to send your student to school between 8:30 - 8:45 AM.
- Each Thursday our school will have a late start. School begins at 9:30 AM, with drop-off beginning at 9:15 AM. Please send your student to school between 9:15 AM - 9:30 AM, as there is not outside supervision before that time.
- All students should bring a water bottle. Our drinking fountains are turned off, but our bottle fillers remain on.
- All students should wear a clean, well-fitted mask that covers their nose, mouth and chin, snug around the cheeks with no gaps. All masks should be multiple layers made up of two or more washable, breathable fabric. Spare masks in a backpack or left at school are important as masks may tear, get wet, or need to be replaced throughout the day.
- If your child is feeling sick or if you have a person exhibiting COVID symptoms in your home, please do not send your child to school. Call us for details on your next steps.
- Students arriving or departing school on a bike should remember to get off and walk it once on school grounds. This helps keep our other friends and guests safe as they walk to school or wait for their students for the evening.
The Book Fair Is Here!
Our school is having a Follett Book Fair! This fall we'll have 2 ways to shop: at school and online!
- Shop at School: October 11-15, 2021. Hours are 8:00-8:30 AM, and 3:35-6:00 PM in North's Library (Thursday hours are 8:50-9:20 AM and 3:35-6:00 PM). We will also be open during Fall Fest on Thursday, October 14th!
- Shop online: October 1-15, 2021 at this link.
No matter how you choose to shop, all purchases benefit our school library! Gift cards for our live fair can be found by clicking here.
Online purchases are shipped to North Elementary after our live fair closes on October 15, 2021.
Fall Festival — This Thursday!
We are pleased to announce that our annual fall festival is making a return this year on October 14 from 4:30-6:00 PM. This will be an outdoor event with a petting zoo, pumpkin decorating, candy walk, parent-teacher conference sign-up, book fair shopping, and much more.
Early Dismissals/Transportation Changes
We know that sometimes it is inevitable that students need to leave early or have a change in their form of pick-up. Whenever possible, please communicate that with a note to your child’s teacher and the office in advance. With changes the day-of, please make sure to call the school office. Our staff may not be able to get to their email during the day to receive the change in time.
Spartan Food Pantry Open This Week!
The Spartan Food Pantry is excited to welcome guests to shop every other week on Wednesdays. On Wednesday, October 13, patrons can collect food at the District Warehouse on 520 N. Maple Street, Sycamore. Pantry patrons are in-person shopping! Please bring a mask. The pantry hours are 4:30-6:00 PM. The Pantry is open to any family that has a student attending a Sycamore School.
The pantry offers frozen foods, fresh produce, cereal, canned goods, snacks, treats, and much more. Sycamore School District families can come to the pantry every time it is open. Park in the lot next to the warehouse, come on in the front door, and a volunteer will guide you from there.
Community members can now volunteer at the pantry! If you or your organization want to help out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please call the school office if your student is feeling ill, and be prepared to answer a few questions that will help us quickly and efficiently evaluate your child so that we can provide you information based on the latest recommended guidelines. It is imperative that if your student is experiencing ANY of the following symptoms, your student should stay home from school and any extracurricular activities outside the home.
- Temperature of 100.4 (or greater) degrees fahrenheit/38 degrees Celsius;
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Muscle and body aches;
- Moderate to severe headache;
- Sore throat;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- Diarrhea; or
- Any other COVID-19 symptoms identified by the CDC or IDPH.
We know that things may look a little different this year and we are committed to keeping you informed on the changes that are taking place. Here is an overview of what your student can expect if they come to the Health Office with any of the symptoms listed above:
- The student will be brought to the health office where the nurse or their designee will quickly evaluate the student’s condition.
- If it is determined that they are experiencing any COVID like symptoms the student will be escorted to a designated and supervised isolation area.
- The school Nurse will notify the parent/guardian and walk them through the process of what is required for the student to return to school.
- Sick students should be safely transported home by parent or guardian as soon as possible.
- Siblings/household members of the symptomatic student may also be sent home.
- Students will be expected to remain home from school and any extracurricular activities until cleared to return by the school nurse.
Volunteers and Visitors at Sycamore Elementary Schools
In an effort to maintain the safest learning environment possible for our students and staff we will be limiting the number of visitors and volunteers to the building at this time. As part of this commitment, we will be requiring all visitors who enter the building past the office during the school day to be vaccinated. We will also only be allowing volunteers at school activities who are vaccinated. If you are asked to be a volunteer or a visitor at our building please know that you will have to submit proof of your vaccination status to the office prior to entering the building or volunteering at the event. During volunteering or visiting, other guests or additional family members (siblings) will not be allowed at this time.
- Social Emotional Resource Website For Parents
- Sycamore School District Food Service and Menus
- Begin to practice safety measures that will be common place during the school day
The Final Say — A Word From Mr. Franks
October is in full swing and we are excited that school activities are plentiful! Choir, band, orchestra, Battle of the Books, and more are all meeting and enjoying their time together. This week we welcome back our in-person book fair and the return of the Fall Festival. At the end of the month we will participate in Red Ribbon Week, Halloween parties, and prepare for Sycamore Pumpkin Festival fun. So many great things are happening! Thank you for helping to make these things possible.
As a reminder, students should leave all toys, equipment, and trading cards at home. This is the best way to eliminate the loss or damage of any materials. We appreciate your support with this.
The midwest weather is always changing. We’ve had a taste of summer, but fall temperatures are certainly on their way. Please help your child prepare for recess by having a sweatshirt or coat for days when the weather drops below 60 degrees.
Have a great week!
Take care, stay well, and shine bright.