North Notes: November 29, 2021
Monday, November 29
- Welcome Back!
- 5th Grade Orchestra Rehearsal | 3:30 PM
Tuesday, November 30
- National Day Of Giving!
Wednesday, December 1
- Welcome December!
- New Core Value Begins: Empathy
- Full Band Rehearsal | 3:30 PM In The Music Room
Thursday, December 2
- Late Start | Doors Open At 9:15 AM, School Begins @ 9:30 AM
- Map Reading Assessment (K-5)
Friday, December 3
- Have A Great Weekend!
- Choir | 7:45 AM
- Map Math Assessment (K-5)
We Need Your Help! Employment Opportunities
The school district is currently facing many challenges like every organization right now. We have shortages with staffing and supplies. We are currently looking to fill immediate non-certified positions in the classroom and lunch recess settings. Additionally, we are looking to hire a new administrative assistant. If you are interested in any of these positions, please contact me or fill out the application on the District website at this link.
Market Day is back! We are so excited to be offering this service to our families again — with direct mail order service and profits for our school! November specials can be found here. To register your own account click here for information. Our PTO appreciates the support.
School Year Reminders
- Morning drop-off on Monday-Wednesday and Friday is 8:30 AM. Supervision is not available before that time. Please try to send your student to school between 8:30 - 8:45 AM.
- Each Thursday our school will have a late start. School begins at 9:30 AM, with drop-off beginning at 9:15 AM. Please send your student to school between 9:15 AM - 9:30 AM, as there is not outside supervision before that time.
- All students should bring a water bottle. Our drinking fountains are turned off, but our bottle fillers remain on.
- All students should wear a clean, well-fitted mask that covers their nose, mouth and chin, snug around the cheeks with no gaps. All masks should be multiple layers made up of two or more washable, breathable fabric. Spare masks in a backpack or left at school are important as masks may tear, get wet, or need to be replaced throughout the day.
- If your child is feeling sick or if you have a person exhibiting COVID symptoms in your home, please do not send your child to school. Call us for details on your next steps.
- Students arriving or departing school on a bike should remember to get off and walk it once on school grounds. This helps keep our other friends and guests safe as they walk to school or wait for their students for the evening.
Orchestra Concert Information
- Date | Tuesday, December 7, 2021
- Place | Sycamore High School Auditorium
- North and North Grove 4th Grade — 6:00 PM concert (arrive at 5:45 PM)
- Southeast, South Prairie, and West 4th Grade — 6:45 PM concert (arrive at 6:30 PM)
- ALL 5th Grade — 7:30 PM concert (arrive at 7:15 PM)
- What to Bring | Instrument and book or necessary music. No music stands.
- Concert Uniform | Solid white top. Solid black pants or full-length skirt. Black socks and black shoes.
- Questions? Contact Mrs. Marberry at email@example.com
If you would like to purchase some North School spirit wear, check out our new online shop during our Cyber Monday sale. With the ease of an online shop, we require no order deadlines and no minimums! All orders are shipped directly to home and proceeds of every sale come back to support our school.
Winter Benchmark Testing
Beginning this week, for the next few weeks, students will be taking their winter benchmark testing. The second of three rounds of yearly MAP testing will begin this week for first through fifth graders, and kindergarten will be testing MAP for the first time. Additional assessments through AIMSWEB will also be given.
Sycamore Youth Basketball League
We are very excited about the upcoming youth league season. We enjoy watching the community come together to be a part of a fun basketball experience. Below is all of the information you need to register for the league along with important dates.
- Registration for the league will be 100% online this year. We will be using the district web store for registration. Please make sure to fill out one Google Form for each child you are registering to ensure that they are in our system.
- St. Mary’s/Cornerstone/Homeschool students: Payment can be made online, even without a student ID already in the system.
- Masks must be worn by students and spectators at all times while inside district buildings
- We are always looking for volunteer coaches to help make the league successful. We will reach out to all families after registration closes asking volunteers.
Thank you for making Sycamore Youth League a successful program! Please read carefully as we have made changes to the registration process.
Objective: To allow your child to have fun learning the game of basketball.
- Registration - Online registration will be open November 1st - November 24th. All students must be registered by November 24th. No walk up registration.
- Coaches - After registration closes on November 24th, we will email all families asking for volunteer coaches at each level.
- December 4th - Evaluation day. See evaluation schedule below.
- Players will be put through a series of drills to help determine skill level in order to help create fair teams
- Coaches will help evaluate players while they are going through drills
- Parents will have a short meeting with the coordinators to go over expectations for the league and ask any questions they may have.
- Week of December 6th - Coaches will meet with coordinators for rules/expectations/draft
- Week of December 13th - All coaches will contact the players on their teams. Release practice and game schedules
- Week of January 10th - Teams first practice
- January 15th - Week 1 Games
Evaluation Scheduled for December 4th (SHS Field house)
- 1st & 2nd Grade — 9:00-9:50 AM
- 3rd & 4th Grade — 10:00-10:50 AM
- 5th & 6th Grade — 11:00-11:50 AM
Teams: Teams will be selected through the evaluation process. No preference will be given to neighborhoods, elementary school, rideshare, individual request, etc. in order to attempt to most fairly balance each team.
Coaches: Parents are needed to volunteer to coach teams. A maximum of two coaches per team. You will coach your son/daughter.
Practices: Each team will practice once a week for one hour at a local elementary school. No more than one practice per week will be allowed.
Games: Games will be played on Saturday morning starting January 15th at the Sycamore CUSD #427 Fieldhouse. We will play 7 games this year, with no games Feb. 12th due to field house conflict.
Cost: $60 per player, payment made via the district web store. Scholarships are available. Please email coordinators to ask about scholarships.
Please call the school office if your student is feeling ill, and be prepared to answer a few questions that will help us quickly and efficiently evaluate your child so that we can provide you information based on the latest recommended guidelines. It is imperative that if your student is experiencing ANY of the following symptoms, your student should stay home from school and any extracurricular activities outside the home.
- Temperature of 100.4 (or greater) degrees fahrenheit/38 degrees Celsius;
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Muscle and body aches;
- Moderate to severe headache;
- Sore throat;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- Diarrhea; or
- Any other COVID-19 symptoms identified by the CDC or IDPH.
We know that things may look a little different this year and we are committed to keeping you informed on the changes that are taking place. Here is an overview of what your student can expect if they come to the Health Office with any of the symptoms listed above:
- The student will be brought to the health office where the nurse or their designee will quickly evaluate the student’s condition.
- If it is determined that they are experiencing any COVID like symptoms the student will be escorted to a designated and supervised isolation area.
- The school Nurse will notify the parent/guardian and walk them through the process of what is required for the student to return to school.
- Sick students should be safely transported home by parent or guardian as soon as possible.
- Siblings/household members of the symptomatic student may also be sent home.
- Students will be expected to remain home from school and any extracurricular activities until cleared to return by the school nurse.
District Travel Guidelines
At this time, students will not need to be excluded after traveling (domestic or international). Individuals who have traveled should closely monitor symptoms for 14 days after arriving home. If symptoms develop, that individual should stay home and notify their school. It is recommended that those who travel internationally should test 3-5 days after returning.
- Social Emotional Resource Website For Parents
- Sycamore School District Food Service and Menus
- Begin to practice safety measures that will be common place during the school day
The Final Say — A Word From Mr. Franks
As we approach the end of November and with the weather changing please make sure that your children are prepared to go outside for recess, (hats, gloves, warm coats). December is in just a few days, so please have their boots and snow pants ready, as we will go out for recess as long as the wind chill is above zero degrees.
Thank you for your attendance (both in-person and virtual) at Parent-Teacher conferences this past week. We sincerely appreciate your participation, feedback, and partnership. It was great to offer a variety of times and options to fit the needs of all families.
We are pleased to announce the return of the Holiday Shoppe, provided by our North School PTO. Students will be allowed to shop with their class next week on Thursday or Friday. A big thank you to our PTO for bringing this back for the 2021 season.
Have a great week!
Take care, stay well, and shine bright!