North Notes: December 6, 2021
Monday, December 6
- MAP Testing | Fluency
- Battle of the Books Battle @ SMS | 4:30 PM
Tuesday, December 7
- MAP Make-ups
- Orchestra Concert | 6:00 PM
Wednesday, December 8
- MAP Make-ups
- Full Band Rehearsal | 3:30 PM in the Music Room
- Spartan Food Pantry @ District Warehouse | 4:30 PM
Thursday, December 9
- Late Start | Doors open at 9:15 AM, school begins at 9:30 AM
- MAP Make-ups
- Holiday Shoppe
- Battle of the Books Practice | 3:30 PM
Friday, December 10
- Have A Great Weekend!
- Choir | 7:45 AM
- Holiday Shoppe
- MAP Make-ups
Holiday Shoppe Information
The North School Holiday Shoppe is back this year! The event will be held on Thursday, December 9 and Friday, December 10. Please take a few moments to help your child decide who they would like to buy gifts for. Don't forget that all items are $1 and the PTO provides $1 for each child to shop with. We also need volunteers to help our little shoppers! Please sign up for your time slot online.
Market Day is back! We are so excited to be offering this service to our families again — with direct mail order service and profits for our school! December specials can be found here. To register your own account click here for information. Our PTO appreciates the support.
Spartan Food Pantry Open This Week
The Spartan Food Pantry is excited to welcome guests to shop every other week on Wednesdays. On Wednesday, December 8, patrons can collect food at the District Warehouse on 520 N. Maple Street, Sycamore. Pantry patrons are in-person shopping! Please bring a mask. The pantry hours are 4:30-6:00 PM. The Pantry is open to any family that has a student attending a Sycamore School.
The pantry offers frozen foods, fresh produce, cereal, canned goods, snacks, treats, and much more. Sycamore School District families can come to the pantry every time it is open. Park in the lot next to the warehouse, come on in the front door, and a volunteer will guide you from there.
Community members can now volunteer at the pantry! If you or your organization want to help out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
School Year Reminders
- Morning drop-off on Monday-Wednesday and Friday is 8:30 AM. Supervision is not available before that time. Please try to send your student to school between 8:30 - 8:45 AM.
- Each Thursday our school will have a late start. School begins at 9:30 AM, with drop-off beginning at 9:15 AM. Please send your student to school between 9:15 AM - 9:30 AM, as there is not outside supervision before that time.
- All students should bring a water bottle. Our drinking fountains are turned off, but our bottle fillers remain on.
- All students should wear a clean, well-fitted mask that covers their nose, mouth and chin, snug around the cheeks with no gaps. All masks should be multiple layers made up of two or more washable, breathable fabric. Spare masks in a backpack or left at school are important as masks may tear, get wet, or need to be replaced throughout the day.
- If your child is feeling sick or if you have a person exhibiting COVID symptoms in your home, please do not send your child to school. Call us for details on your next steps.
- Students arriving or departing school on a bike should remember to get off and walk it once on school grounds. This helps keep our other friends and guests safe as they walk to school or wait for their students for the evening.
Orchestra Concert Information
- Date | Tuesday, December 7, 2021
- Place | Sycamore High School Auditorium
- North and North Grove 4th Grade — 6:00 PM concert (arrive at 5:45 PM)
- Southeast, South Prairie, and West 4th Grade — 6:45 PM concert (arrive at 6:30 PM)
- ALL 5th Grade — 7:30 PM concert (arrive at 7:15 PM)
- What to Bring | Instrument and book or necessary music. No music stands.
- Concert Uniform | Solid white top. Solid black pants or full-length skirt. Black socks and black shoes.
- Questions? Contact Mrs. Marberry at email@example.com
1st Place Spirit Wear Now Available
If you would like to purchase some North School spirit wear, check out our new online shop. With the ease of an online shop, we require no order deadlines and no minimums! All orders are shipped directly to home and proceeds of every sale come back to support our school.
Winter Benchmark Testing
Beginning this week, for the next few weeks, students will be taking their winter benchmark testing. The second of three rounds of yearly MAP testing will begin this week for first through fifth graders, and kindergarten will be testing MAP for the first time. Additional assessments through AIMSWEB will also be given.
Please call the school office if your student is feeling ill, and be prepared to answer a few questions that will help us quickly and efficiently evaluate your child so that we can provide you information based on the latest recommended guidelines. It is imperative that if your student is experiencing ANY of the following symptoms, your student should stay home from school and any extracurricular activities outside the home.
- Temperature of 100.4 (or greater) degrees fahrenheit/38 degrees Celsius;
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Muscle and body aches;
- Moderate to severe headache;
- Sore throat;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- Diarrhea; or
- Any other COVID-19 symptoms identified by the CDC or IDPH.
We know that things may look a little different this year and we are committed to keeping you informed on the changes that are taking place. Here is an overview of what your student can expect if they come to the Health Office with any of the symptoms listed above:
- The student will be brought to the health office where the nurse or their designee will quickly evaluate the student’s condition.
- If it is determined that they are experiencing any COVID like symptoms the student will be escorted to a designated and supervised isolation area.
- The school Nurse will notify the parent/guardian and walk them through the process of what is required for the student to return to school.
- Sick students should be safely transported home by parent or guardian as soon as possible.
- Siblings/household members of the symptomatic student may also be sent home.
- Students will be expected to remain home from school and any extracurricular activities until cleared to return by the school nurse.
District Travel Guidelines
At this time, students will not need to be excluded after traveling (domestic or international). Individuals who have traveled should closely monitor symptoms for 14 days after arriving home. If symptoms develop, that individual should stay home and notify their school. It is recommended that those who travel internationally should test 3-5 days after returning.
- Social Emotional Resource Website For Parents
- Sycamore School District Food Service and Menus
- Begin to practice safety measures that will be common place during the school day
The Final Say — A Word From Mr. Franks
Communication between home and school is a vital part of our partnership. Please make sure we have accurate phone numbers and email addresses on file. If something has changed and needs to be updated since the registration process, just give us a call — we can take care of it with no hassle at all!
Thank you for your continued support.
Take care, stay well, and shine bright!