Monday, August 16
Back to School Bash in Downtown Sycamore (Rescheduled due to weather) | 5:30-9:30 PM
Tuesday, August 17
Backpack and School Supply Drop-off | 4:30PM-5:30PM
Wednesday, August 18
- First Day of School for 1st - 5th Grade
- Kindergarten Conferences
- Spartan Food Pantry @ District Warehouse | 4:30PM-6:00PM
Thursday, August 19
- NO LATE START
- Kindergarten A Day
Friday, August 20
Kindergarten B Day
Thursday, August 26
- First Late Start Thursday
- Picture Day
Friday, August 27
First National Challenge Football Game @ NIU
School Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year
PLANNING FOR THE 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR
The start of the new school year is just around the corner. We are so excited to see the kids and our North School families! Below you will find several details about the 2021-2022 school year. If you have any questions about these topics please let me know.
Must Know Information
- School will be in person five days a week.
- We will have full days.
- Start Time: 8:45 AM
- Students can be dropped off starting at 8:30 AM
- Late start on every Thursday beginning on Thursday, August 26
- Start Time: 9:30 AM
- Students can be dropped off starting at 9:15 AM
- Dismissal: 3:30 PM
- Start Time: 8:45 AM
- Late Start Thursdays- The district is adding a late start of 45 minutes on Thursdays district wide. Please note that we will not have a late start our first week of school.
- This has been a practice at the high school for years. It will be a great addition for the rest of our district as we will be able to have our grade level team meetings without the use of subs and provide a consistent opportunity for teaming for all staff members. This aspect of collaboration has led to some very positive changes for our district over the past 7 years.
- OSCAR will return for families for both AM and PM support.
- Click here for more information or to register for OSCAR.
- OSCAR is available starting at 7:00 AM each morning
- School Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year- Click Here
- Specials will be taught in person to all students.
- Technology/Problem Solving
- Math Specialists and WIN Time
- Each elementary school has hired a Math Specialist and we will be implementing a WIN (What I Need) block each day. This will further support student learning at all levels. We are very excited to add this customized learning time for students.
- Masking and Social Distancing
- All students and staff will be masked while indoors at school.
- No masks will be required while outside at recess or other outdoor activities.
- We will maintain social distancing of three feet to the greatest extent possible.
- During lunch students will be spaced three feet apart.
- All students will receive a lanyard to attach their mask to during the school day.
BACK TO SCHOOL BASH
On Monday, August 16, 2021, starting at 5:30 PM, the District, in partnership with SEF and the city, will be hosting the inaugural Back2School Bash downtown Sycamore in parking lots 1 and 2 and Elm Street between Somonauk and S. California.
This free event will feature vendors with activities and giveaways, food vendors, and touch-a-truck vehicles featuring the City’s fire, police, and public works departments.
Starting at 8:00 PM, the movie, Toy Story, will be shown up on the big screen in Parking Lot #1 for all to enjoy. The event will wrap up at 9:30 PM.
Additional Back2School Information can be found here.
SCHOOL SUPPLY/BACKPACK DROP-OFF | August 17 | 4:30PM
Let the excitement of the new school year begin! We look forward to seeing all of our families at our backpack drop-off night. At this event you can see your child’s classroom, meet your child’s teacher, and bring in your school supplies. We are very excited to welcome our families back into the school building for this event. As a reminder, all attendees over the age of two must wear a mask.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL (GRADES 1-5)
On the first day of school, we will meet all students in grades 1-5 in the back of the building on the blacktop area. The teachers will meet the students starting at 8:30AM and we will walk them into the building around 8:45AM. Our teachers will be holding up signs with their names on them so the students can find their class.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES AND SCHOOL TOOLBOX
The 2021-2022 school supply list is now available on the district website. Also, remember that you can purchase a School Tool Box with all of the North School supplies by grade level through www.schooltoolbox.com. The school tool box will even be delivered to your house! School Toolbox is a one stop shop for all of your school supplies. Please use the link below if you are interested in shopping using School Toolbox: www.schooltoolbox.com.
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION FOR 21-22
In Sycamore we provide a transition week for all kindergarteners. Our first day is a conference day with parents and students. Our second and third day are transition days of school for our kindergarteners with just half of the class. These are full days for the students, but only half the class each day.
All incoming kindergarten students should receive a transition letter at the beginning of August with their transition day A/B assignment along with their conference time for the first day of school. These letters were mailed out this week.
Kindergarten students and their parents/guardians are asked to attend a conference at North Elementary School on Wednesday, August 18. Your conference will begin at the designated time assigned in your transition A/B letter. Enter through the main entrance and bring your kindergartener with you. During the conference you will learn about important classroom details from your child’s teacher.
- Wednesday, August 18 – Kindergarten Conferences
- Thursday, August 19 – Group A Student Only (Full day of school and buses are available)
- Friday, August 20 – Group B Students Only (Full day of school and buses are available)
- Monday, August 23 - All Kindergarten Students Attend
Federal aid is now available specifically to help families pay for high-speed internet service, plus a computer or tablet. It’s called the Emergency Broadband Benefit, and it provides discounts of up to $50 a month for high-speed internet along with a one time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider.
Households qualify if anyone in the household is eligible for the free and reduced-price school lunch or breakfast programs; participates in SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline; received a Federal Pell Grant this year; or lost significant income due to furlough or job loss since Feb. 29, 2020. Please see the link below for more details about this support program.
- Sycamore School District Back2School Website
- Social Emotional Resource Website For Parents
- Sycamore School District Food Service and Menus
- Begin to practice safety measures that will be common place during the school day
Take care, stay well, and shine bright!